Christine Davy was a member of the 1956 and 1960 Australian Winter Olympic teams. She competed in Downhill, Giant Slalom and Slalom.
Following retirement from competitive skiing, Christine became a pioneer female in commercial aviation.
Fritz, Margot & their daughter Mandy about 1973.
Fritz is playing his harp taken at Marritz Alpine Inn.
In May, 1970, Hans Zollinger - proprietor of Hans Oversnow - set out to fly from Zurich to Cooma.
Skiing attracts a fascinting range of people, very often their stories involve personal successes of determination and are enthralling. Hans is one of these people and he has written the following account of the journey.
Keith has had a long and continuous association with the area and the development of skiing, both in the introduction of skiing instruction and the development of junior competition and training. He was also instrumental in the planning and construction of the All-denominational Church at Perisher Valley. In recent years Keith’s sight has been dimming but his memory is as clear as ever. He has digitally recorded an interesting account of his time in the snowfields, which contributes to the timeline for the development of Perisher Valley and provides many fascinating anecdotes. Keith was unable to attend the PHS Dinner in June but his recorded memoirs were enjoyed by all.First published PHS Newsletter No. 1 Summer 2008
Ken Murray, known to all as “KG” was the initial major developer of Perisher Valley. His company K.G. Murray Publishing Company from 1959 until 1973 built (except for the North Perisher T-bar) and controlled, both ski-lifts and hotels, operated the ski school, established retail outlets and initially held responsibility for all liquor sales. The company eventually provided ski patrol, medical services and slope grooming. In return for the supply of these facilities and the fact that all the investment was on a non-freehold land, the Kosciusko State Park Trust granted the company a license as sole provider of these services for a period of time.
Perisher Identities 1966
Here is a fascinating group shot of all the Movers and Shakers of the time taken at Chez Jean.
Rudi Kunz, Robert Watson, (Robert used to have Watsons Furniture - Cooma), Margo Feiersinger, Kurt Brulisauer, Jacqui Swain, John Davis, Mrs Schultz, Bill Kennedy (he was managing Sundeck), Anneke Kunz, John Swain, Nancy Watson, Fritz Feiersinger, Pat Davis, Brian Schultz (Sgt. from Island Bend), Bonnie Kennedy, Jean Ecuyer. The waitress on the right is Elma Bunt who would eventually become Mrs Ecuyer.
Robert Watson and his wife Nancy were owners and operators of the Royal Coachman Lodge at Smiggins when the photo was taken.
Jacqui & John Swain at the time were overall managers of Smiggins Kosciusko for James Wallace after the departure of the first general manager Ernst Forras. The Swains would be eventual owners of Royal Coachman.
In December 2009, Ron Finneran retired as National Executive Director of Disabled WinterSport Australia (DWA) after 35 years of pioneering, encouraging and promoting winter sport for people with disabilities. Not only was Ron responsible for the introduction of disabled skiing into Australia, he has been the driving force behind the growth of the sport. No facilities or equipment were available to the disabled when Ron made his first visit to the snowfields in 1974. He was only able to sit on a rock in the sun and watch his able-bodied friends fly past on skis. From that day on, nothing has deterred him in his efforts to bring the joys of skiing to those with disabilities.
In 2009 Grant Turnbull, known to many as ‘Shifty’, notched up 50 consecutive winter seasons in the Snowy Mountains. In recognition of his committed service to ski patrolling and ski instruction at Perisher, ‘Shifty’s Run’ has been named in his honour.
Grant commenced skiing in 1959 at Charlotte Pass where he stoked the boilers at The Chalet, before becoming Perisher’s first professional ski patroller. In 1970 he began work as a ski instructor and today, at the age of 80, he’s still at it. Unlike many who return to warmer climes in the off-season, Grant has pursued at least 30 back-to-back winter seasons by instructing at the Soll Ski Resort in Austria.
Originally a Bondi surfer, Grant decided to try skiing and has never looked back in the snowsports industry that he helped to shape. A love of meeting and communicating with people and a sincere interest in fostering one’s best abilities in learning to ski, makes Grant a deserving recipient of this honour.
‘Shifty’s Run’ was officially opened on Friday 28 August 2009 and is located skiers right off the top of Eyre T-bar on Mt. Perisher. As for the colourful nickname, ‘Shifty’, it has been suggested that it derives from his days as a ladies’ man, a connotation that Grant adamantly denies!(adapted from the Perisher website)
It was with regret that we note the passing of Ted Winter in 2009 – poet, athlete, high school teacher, bushman, a fierce advocate for the preservation of the Kosciuszko huts, a foundation member of Yeti Alpine Ski Club in Perisher Valley and a passionate tourer of the Snowy Mountains – on skis and on foot.