Home » Stories » Disappearing buildings

Disappearing buildings

Scroll  upwards to view this story

Rawson's Pass Shelter Hut

Rawson’s Pass Shelter Hut was one of three built in 1908 for tourists along the Lakes Walk, the others being at Lake Albina (Moraine Pass) and Blue Lake. They were described as “little shelter sheds of native granite with wooden windows and doors” and had dirt floors. The Rawson’s Pass and Blue Lake shelters lasted at least until 1937 whereas the Moraine Pass shelter lasted only a few years.

Rawson's Pass Shelter Hut

Rawson’s Pass Shelter Hut was one of three built in 1908 for tourists along the Lakes Walk, the others being at Lake Albina (Moraine Pass) and Blue Lake. They were described as “little shelter sheds of native granite with wooden windows and doors” and had dirt floors. The Rawson’s Pass and Blue Lake shelters lasted at least until 1937 whereas the Moraine Pass shelter lasted only a few years.

Foreman's Hut

Foreman’s Hut was a shepherd’s hut built about 1924 at the junction of the Snowy River and Club Lake Creek. Only the brick chimney remains.

Foreman's Hut

Foreman’s Hut was a shepherd’s hut built about 1924 at the junction of the Snowy River and Club Lake Creek. Only the brick chimney remains.

Red Hut

The NSW Government built Red Hut about 1920 at Charlotte Pass. It was on the north side of the Kosciuszko Road and was in disrepair by 1934.

Red Hut

The NSW Government built Red Hut about 1920 at Charlotte Pass. It was on the north side of the Kosciuszko Road and was in disrepair by 1934.

Grey Hut.

The NSW Government built Grey Hut in 1940 to replace the derelict Red Hut. It was on the Kosciuszko Road at Charlotte Pass directly opposite Red Hut.

Grey Hut.

The NSW Government built Grey Hut in 1940 to replace the derelict Red Hut. It was on the Kosciuszko Road at Charlotte Pass directly opposite Red Hut.

Old Betts Camp

Old Betts Camp was built by the NSW Government in 1898 for tourists going to the Summit of Mt Kosciuszko. It was on the old Kosciuszko Road and was the only shelter between Jindabyne and the Summit and was situated just below the ridge of the Crackenback Range.

Old Betts Camp

Old Betts Camp was built by the NSW Government in 1898 for tourists going to the Summit of Mt Kosciuszko. It was on the old Kosciuszko Road and was the only shelter between Jindabyne and the Summit and was situated just below the ridge of the Crackenback Range.

New Betts Camp

The NSW Government built new Betts Camp in 1907 to replace old Betts Camp. New Betts Camp was on the new Kosciusko Road, about 2 km north of old Betts Camp. It was originally built for workers constructing the new Kosciuszko Road but later became overflow accommodation for skiers unable to get into the Chalet. It was demolished by the government in 1963.

New Betts Camp

The NSW Government built new Betts Camp in 1907 to replace old Betts Camp. New Betts Camp was on the new Kosciusko Road, about 2 km north of old Betts Camp. It was originally built for workers constructing the new Kosciuszko Road but later became overflow accommodation for skiers unable to get into the Chalet. It was demolished by the government in 1963.

Lake Albina Lodge

Lake Albina Lodge was built by Ski Tourers Association (later the Australian Alpine Club) in 1951 to provide access to the Main Range for touring skiers. It was taken over by National Parks and Wildlife Service in 1969 and dismantled during the 1980s.

Lake Albina Lodge

Lake Albina Lodge was built by Ski Tourers Association (later the Australian Alpine Club) in 1951 to provide access to the Main Range for touring skiers. It was taken over by National Parks and Wildlife Service in 1969 and dismantled during the 1980s.

Kunama Huette

Kunama Huette was the second project of Ski Tourers Association (later Australian Alpine Club). It was built in the Kunama Basin, (a cirque formed by Mts Clarke, Northcote, Lee and Carruthers), opened in 1953 and destroyed in an avalanche in 1956. It was not rebuilt.

Kunama Huette

Kunama Huette was the second project of Ski Tourers Association (later Australian Alpine Club). It was built in the Kunama Basin, (a cirque formed by Mts Clarke, Northcote, Lee and Carruthers), opened in 1953 and destroyed in an avalanche in 1956. It was not rebuilt.

The Northcote Ski Tow

The Ski Tourers Association built the Northcote Ski Tow (a rope tow) about 100 m from Kunama Huette in the Kunama Basin in 1954. At the time of its construction it was the best ski lift in the Kosciuszko area. Unfortunately, the Tow Hut was burnt down in 1956 shortly after the Kunama avalanche. It was not rebuilt and the stanchions, rope and engine were taken to Thredbo to create the first ski lift there in 1957.

The Northcote Ski Tow

The Ski Tourers Association built the Northcote Ski Tow (a rope tow) about 100 m from Kunama Huette in the Kunama Basin in 1954. At the time of its construction it was the best ski lift in the Kosciuszko area. Unfortunately, the Tow Hut was burnt down in 1956 shortly after the Kunama avalanche. It was not rebuilt and the stanchions, rope and engine were taken to Thredbo to create the first ski lift there in 1957.

Perisher Hut

The NSW Government built Perisher Hut in 1939. It was made of corrugated iron and was the only shelter hut in Perisher Valley. It was located beside the Kosciuszko Road on Mt Wheatley quite close to the bottom of the present Eyre T-bar on Mt Perisher. It was dismantled some time during the 1950s.

Perisher Hut

The NSW Government built Perisher Hut in 1939. It was made of corrugated iron and was the only shelter hut in Perisher Valley. It was located beside the Kosciuszko Road on Mt Wheatley quite close to the bottom of the present Eyre T-bar on Mt Perisher. It was dismantled some time during the 1950s.

CSIRO Ski Club Lodge

Three club lodges were built originally on the ski slopes in Perisher Valley, CSIRO, Technology and Cooma. They have all now been dismantled and new lodges built in different locations around Perisher Valley. CSIRO Ski Club built its original lodge in 1954 at the foot of Mt Perisher, about 100 metres from the bottom station of the Perisher triple chairlift. CSIRO’s new lodge, built in 1985,  is in South Perisher behind the Man from Snowy River Hotel.

CSIRO Ski Club Lodge

Three club lodges were built originally on the ski slopes in Perisher Valley, CSIRO, Technology and Cooma. They have all now been dismantled and new lodges built in different locations around Perisher Valley. CSIRO Ski Club built its original lodge in 1954 at the foot of Mt Perisher, about 100 metres from the bottom station of the Perisher triple chairlift. CSIRO’s new lodge, built in 1985,  is in South Perisher behind the Man from Snowy River Hotel.

Technology Ski Club Lodge

Technology Ski Club completed its first lodge in 1959 near the bottom of the Lawson T-bar and relocated to North Perisher in 1986.

Technology Ski Club Lodge

Technology Ski Club completed its first lodge in 1959 near the bottom of the Lawson T-bar and relocated to North Perisher in 1986.

Cooma Ski Club Lodge

Cooma Ski Club built its first lodge on Back Perisher in 1954. The original lodge was dismantled and its new lodge built in North Perisher, not far from where Technology lodge now stands, in 1984.

Cooma Ski Club Lodge

Cooma Ski Club built its first lodge on Back Perisher in 1954. The original lodge was dismantled and its new lodge built in North Perisher, not far from where Technology lodge now stands, in 1984.

Ibis Hut

Adams Hut was an old shepherds hut above Spencers Creek near Mt Sugarloaf, about 1 km from the Chalet at Charlotte Pass. It was described as a ruin in 1945 but was rebuilt as a sturdy granite structure by the NSW Water Conservation and Irrigation Commission in 1947 and named Ibis Hut. KAC obtained Ibis Hut in 1956 and used it as a low accommodation alternative to its lodge at Charlotte Pass. Ibis Hut was sold to the Kosciusko State Park Trust in 1967 and NPWS removed it in 1975.

Ibis Hut

Adams Hut was an old shepherds hut above Spencers Creek near Mt Sugarloaf, about 1 km from the Chalet at Charlotte Pass. It was described as a ruin in 1945 but was rebuilt as a sturdy granite structure by the NSW Water Conservation and Irrigation Commission in 1947 and named Ibis Hut. KAC obtained Ibis Hut in 1956 and used it as a low accommodation alternative to its lodge at Charlotte Pass. Ibis Hut was sold to the Kosciusko State Park Trust in 1967 and NPWS removed it in 1975.

Cresta Ski Lodge

Cresta Ski Lodge, built in 1961, was the first in Smiggin Holes. It burnt down in 1964 and was replaced by Chalet Apartments.

Cresta Ski Lodge

Cresta Ski Lodge, built in 1961, was the first in Smiggin Holes. It burnt down in 1964 and was replaced by Chalet Apartments.